Monday, May 3, 2010

Things to Do: Susan G. Komen Global Race

Unless you've been living under a rock you've heard all about the Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure.  On Saturday, June 5, I will be volunteering for my fourth consecutive year.  The picture to the left is me with one of my linesisters at last year's race.

Each year, I've volunteered in different capacities.  One year I distributed t-shirts and chips (to time the racers), another year I handed out medals at the finish line to breast cancer survivors, and last year I volunteered at the incentive distribution center (for those who raised over a certain amount. They received gifts ranging from coupons for free drinks to Caribou Coffee to Macy's giftcards).  This year, I'm assisting with some pre-race events as well as volunteering the morning of the race.  My shift ends at 9AM, so hopefully I'll also be able to walk this year.

Volunteering each year for this worthy cause and seeing the thousands of breast cancer survivors, both men and women, walking in their pink shirts is truly a sight to behold.  As long as I'm able, I plan to continue to support this organization and all that they do.  Hopefully, one day soon they will find a cure.

If you are interested in volunteering for the DC Race, please visit:
http://globalrace.info-komen.org/site/PageNavigator/hq_gr_learn_how_volunteer_2010.


I know times are hard but I'm also making a plea for donations, you could call it a plea or a shamless plug if you'd like but as long as the donations start coming in it doesn't matter.  Whatever you could spare, whether $5 or $10, any amount will make a difference in the lives of those who need it most.  My goal is to raise $250+ this year and this can only be done with the support of others. Please visit my personal page to learn more.
http://tinyurl.com/Komen65

No comments:

Post a Comment