Friday, July 10, 2009

This is 2009, NOT 1959!!!

For the life of me I don't understand how or even why racism still exists in America. The glorious United States of America of all places, which is considered to be a "melting pot" of all different races, cultures, and religions.

I was seriously appalled to hear the latest news story about a summer camp of black children being turned away from a pool in Philadelphia, PA and were told "they'd change the complexion" of the pool. WHAT? Are you kidding me? First of all, who says that? Secondly, who says that and is serious?

When I first heard this story, I was thinking it had to be just a joke. But no, I was wrong, I googled it and found tons of hits from local media stations who've covered the story as well as several blogs and websites that have mentioned the story. I find it quite interesting how the swim club accepted nearly $2000 from the program to allow the kids to swim there but when they showed up they were told to leave, were refunded their money and told not to come back.

I plan on sending an email as well as a letter to The Valley Club expressing my shear disgust in how they treated these children and my concerns with what has occurred. I hope that others will take a similar stand to let them not that this is NOT OKAY and will not be tolerated. Just because this is 2009 and not 1959 and we're not still holding boycotts and staging sit-ins, we can't just sit back and let events like this continue to happen and go unnoticed. We have to remain vigilant in ensuring that there is no place for racism in today's society. Below is the contact information for the Swim Club that turned the children away.

The Valley Club
Physical Address: 22 Tomlinson Road, Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 134, Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006
Club Phone Number: 215-947-0700
Club E-mail:
info@thevalleyclub.com
It still amazes me that someone would have to nerve to say something like that and think it was alright. Just when we think this country has come so far, there's always evidence to prove otherwise.

Link:http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Campers-Complexion-No-Problem-for-New-Pool.html
YouTube Video discussing the incident (Note: There is some strong language towards the end)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saTCMJVYljU

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for putting up the address! I will definitely be sending in an angry letter about this too, it's just disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard this on the radio out here in NY this morning and I was so shocked.

    It's sad, but not surprising that White people still have racism in their blood.

    What bothers me most, is that these parents are forcefeeding racism into their children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ill be sending an email too. it really is sad and even though its 2009. Many situations like this happen and unfortunately many dont get this more attention.

    ReplyDelete