Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Things to Do: Jazz In The Garden

Last Friday, I went to Jazz in the Garden for the first time. Jazz is an event held every Friday during the summer month from 5:00-8:30 in the garden behind The National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC.

I would highly suggest getting there early because we got there around 6:15 and the grounds were already blanketed with hundreds of couples and groups of people. We finally found a nice spot by a hedge and laid down a blanket to enjoy the picnic we brought with us. Only thing was it was hard to hear the jazz band since there were no speakers set up, you could only faintly hear the music off in the distance.

They sell food, bottles of wine, and pitchers of sangria in the Garden Cafe but they allow you to bring in your own food. There's a sign at the entrance saying alcoholic beverages are not allowed to be brought it, but we along with everyone around us didn't follow that rule. No one checks at the entrances but they do have security patrolling so if you BYOB make sure to keep it out of sight. I had my bottle of Moscato & he a bottle of Merlot. Needless to say, we polished off both bottles.

My advice...try not to don't drink too much. The lines for the restrooms are extremely long. They have porta-potties, but the smell eminating from that area was horrid. Hold it if you can.

I definitely recommend this as a recession-friendly and romantic date idea. The next Friday I'm free, I hope to go again. Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment