Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Things to Do: West End Cinema

I'm a movie buff but over the last couple of years, between work and other activities I haven't been able to go to the movies as much as I used to. I'll catch a movie here and there at one of the many film festivals held in the area and go see one of the new releases every once in a while but it's not like how it used to be.

During the month of February, Living Social offered a promotion called Flirt Fest during the week of Valentine's Day. One of the offers, was tickets for 2 to the new West End Cinema. I figured this was my chance to try out a new theatre and check out what new films were out there.

I decided to check the place out on a Friday evening with a friend. There were several indie films and documentaries playing but we ended up seeing The Fighter. We bought our tickets from an animated gentleman who told us they had the best popcorn in the city. I typically don't order popcorn but I figured why not. They also had bar that served a nice selection of cocktails along with tea, coffee, and hot chocolate. Since it was cold that evening, we both ordered hot chocolate with a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream. What could be better?

We walked into our theatre as soon as we were told we could enter and took a seat right in the middle. It was definitely cozy in there. I would guess the theater could hold 30-40 people at best. Although I'd been to other theatres that screen the same types of movies, I'd never been in a theatre so small. The whole time I kept commenting on how cute it was. I definitely felt like I was watching the movie is someone's private home theatre, not that anythings wrong with that, in fact it added to the charm.

I'd have to say the best part was how clean the place was and how friendly the staff were. For such a small theatre they have an ample amount of movie available. Also, their website is incredibly easy to use. You can view the descriptions, check out trailers and purchase tickets online. West End Cinema is definitely a hidden gem, can't wait to catch another movie there.

West End Cinema
2301 M Street NW
Washington, DC 20037
202-419-3456
http://www.westendcinema.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment