Monday, January 31, 2011

Spa Review: Tranquility Med Spa (Don't Do It!)

Typically, I don't post negative reviews on my blog but recently I wrote a review on Yelp about an awful experience I had at a spa in Alexandria, Virginia and I wanted to warn others about it.


While the massage itself wasn't "that" bad, the entire experience definitely left a lot to be desired.

I purchased a deal for a 60 minute Swedish massage via Living Social in December to a "med spa". A few weeks ago I called to schedule my appointment and was greeted by a voicemail. The message basically said they'd received an overwhelming response to the promotion and to book an appointment you'd have to do it online. Should've taken that as a sign of what was to come.

I booked my appointment online about 3 weeks ago but had some questions about other services that couldn't be booked through their website so I attempted to call them several times. I called in the morning, midday, and in the afternoon, still no answer just the same voicemail.

Fast forward to today. ..I arrived at 6910 Richmond Highway in Alexandria, VA around 12:10 for my 12:30 appointment. It was a 4 story office building, not at all what I was expecting but I figured since it was a med spa it would be a little different.

I walked in and circled the first floor several times trying to find Tranquility Med Spa. I finally spotted someone who worked in the building and she said she'd never heard of the place and suggested that I was at the wrong address (which I was not). Again I tried to call the spa for further directions and yet again I got the same voicemail.

Eventually, I walked back outside and was about to get into my car. I ran into someone else who worked in the building and he also said he'd never heard of it but said there was another entrance on the other side of the building.

I finally spotted a place called Whole Health and went in to inquire if they knew where Tranquility Med Spa was. They told me that they were Tranquility. Mind you, there was not one thing, no signage, no marketing materials, nothing that said anything about Tranquility Med Spa, outside or inside.

So around 12:20 the reception hands me an application to fill out then she disappears. Next thing I know she comes back to the desk with a plate of food. I know it was lunchtime, but really? Another woman with a laptop, I'm assuming was the manager, eventually said someone would be right with me. My masseuse Shayla came out to get me for my 12:30 appointment at 12:38.

I walked into the room and the first thing I noticed was how loud the overhead music was. The room was bare except for the massage table, a chair and a sink. I noticed the walls did not go up to the ceiling so I could hear everything.

I made a note to look at the clock in the room to see when my massage began because I had a feeling they were going to try to short me because they were late. My massage began at 12:42.
Like I said before the massage itself wasn't that bad, the pressure was fine unlike the previous reviewer. The main issue was how loud it was in there. For the first half of my massage I had to endure a conversation between whom I'm assuming was the manager and a salesperson having a meeting.

They had a very boisterous conversation about products, logos and websites, I could hear every word they said. I was obviously annoyed and I guess the masseuse could see the displeased look on my face so she let out this loud "Shhhhhh". The two in the room next door finally quieted down for a minute or two before they started talking loudly and laughing again.

Next thing I know the masseuse is asking me how my massage was. I looked up at the clock and it was 1:25PM on the dot. My 60 minute massage ended up being only 43 minutes. I was thinking you've got to be kidding me.

I walked out to the receptionist and immediately asked her if my massage was supposed to be 60 minutes or 45. She confirmed it was 60 minutes, just as I'd thought. I told her my massage was only 43 minutes and that it was incredibly loud because of the conversation going on in the room next door. She simply said "Oh". The manager who was also out there and heard my comment didn't say a word either. No apology, no trying to make amends, nothing. Totally unacceptable!

My massage at Tranquility Med Spa was definitely one of the worst experiences I've EVER had. I would NEVER EVER recommend that anyone else goes there. I truly feel bad for the other 2k people who purchased the deal from Living Social. Do yourself a favor and just don't go!

Here's more information about the "spa" and yes, I use that term loosely.

Tranquility Med Spa or Whole Health Medical Center
6910 Richmond Highway, Ste. 120
Alexandria, VA 22306
571.485.0208

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. I usually go to a Thai place in Sterling that I LOVE!!! I started to get in on that deal but the name wasn't appealing to me (ok, I'm different, LoL).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! You should send LivingSocial a note letting them know. I'm curious to know what -- if any -- BBB complaints have been filed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Licensed Massage Therapist in a Four Diamond Resort, I can assure you that if anything even minutely close occurred, the guest would not be charged. Sometimes things go wrong that are unavoidable, but this is blatant disregard of the guest, not to mention how unprofessional they are. Perhaps you could notify one of the professional massage therapy associations (ABMP or AMTA), to see if they could do something to rectify a practice that ruins the hard work true professionals do to satisfy and honor all that seek MT. I hope you insisted on a total refund.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happened to run into your blog and i HAD to comment. Their new address is 4600 Duke Street, Suite 420. Alexandria, VA 22304. I know one of the former employees that worked for her and I was told that she has not even opened the new place yet because of something that is going on with the business. her employees have not even heard from her ..she pretty much left them hanging and now out of work. Will not respond to her or to clients calls. Her mailbox is completely full and she has not checked messages for months. She left a lot of people who bought the vouchers hanging, and many people are upset because living social did not give them the money back. The business is ran very poorly and should be either closed or taken over by someone more responsible. In my 42 years of living i have never seen a business so uncaring for their clients and so unprofessional.

    ReplyDelete