Thursday, August 12, 2010

Foodie Alert: New Orleans Restaurants Pt. 2

In addition to my old favorites, I have two new ones that I'd highly recommend to anyone traveling to New Orleans.

Two Sisters Kitchen (not to be mistaken with a Court of Two Sisters) is a small, down home restaurant situated in a green house on N. Derbigny Street. It is located about 5 minutes down Canal Street from the French Quarter. 

We met the owner, Ms. Doris, while we were there and she was incredibly friendly, wish the same could be said for the staff.  Don't let the staff be a deterrent though, the food was absolutely amazing.  It's clear that it's a local favorite so they don't bother to roll out the red carpet or put on a show like the larger touristy restaurants do, it's completely no frills. We had gumbo, meatloaf, and fried catfish along with sides of macaroni and cheese, potato salad, and rice.  The portions are hearty and it seems like everyone leaves there with a to-go box.  In total, the three of us paid $24 for our meal including drinks, unbelievable for a sit down restaurant these days. Everything was fantastic but let me say the potato salad was like nothing I had ever tasted before.  The consistency was more like mashed potatoes and they were light and fluffly clouds of pure deliciousness.

Advice: Don't forget to bring cash, they don't accept credit cards.  They do have an ATM but the fee is something ridiculous.  Your meal is only going to cost between $6-10, so why pay an ATM fee of $5.00+

The Gumbo Pot is located on Decatur Street, a cute, funky part of the French Quarter that is known for its quirky boutiques and shops.  If you're a dress lover like me don't forget to stop by a boutique called Wish on your way to this place.  The clothes there are very affordable and will get you complimented everytime.  But back to the topic at hand...food.  The Gumbo Pot, as you guessed it, features several different types of gumbo.

My Mother and I both ordered the seafood gumbo and my Aunt had the chicken and andouille sausage gumbo.  Both were delicious and very rich. Everything tasted so fresh, I hoped I would have left overs but I found myself scooping up the very last drop within a matter of minutes.  Our waitress was incredibly friendly and ultimately shared with us everything from how she ended up in New Orleans to her personal Hurricane Katrina story.  In addition to the great food, we enjoyed the candor.  Also, the prices are very reasonable, I think a bowl of gumbo may have been $9 or $10.

Advice: Order a bowl, not a cup.  The cup is $2-$3 cheaper but it's like 1/3 a size of the bowl.

Well, I hope you enjoy my restaurant suggestions, I went a few other places to eat while down there but these restaurants were hands down my favorites.  As they say in New Orleans, 'Laissez les bon temps rouler'!

No comments:

Post a Comment