Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Don't Tase Me Bro

To this day the words "Don't tase me bro" still make me laugh. If you haven't seen the video, it's from a few years ago when a student from the University of Florida gets tasered for being disruptive at an event where John Kerry was speaking. For the video, click here.

So as I was waking up this morning, I sat there and was watched The Today Show as I do every morning. One of the segments was about a 72 year-old woman who was tasered by the police. At first, I was outraged and was like who would do that to a woman that age? Then I saw the dashboard video, click here.

All the woman had to do was sign the ticket and she would have gone about her business, but no. When she refused the police officer told her that he would have to arrest her. He told her several times to move back from the street to prevent her from getting hit, but she continued to disobey and shouted obscenities at him. Definitely not your sweet, little old lady. When he warned her that she was going to get tasered, the last thing she said was "I dare you". At that point, I was like did she really just say that. Ole ride or die granny. She asked for it and she got it.

From what I've read so far there seems to be differing opinions on whether the officer was justified in tasering her. I feel as though he was because she clearly disobeyed his commands time after time. Sure she's an older woman but from the video she appeared to be very spry and was clearly in her right mind. I'm an advocate for the elderly and have been volunteering with them for over 10 years. You can tell when they are losing it or when they are just being mean and nasty. In my opinion, Granny got what she deserved. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment